Most people know that mold exposure is not good for your health but while you can try to avoid it, sometimes it may not be visible and you could spend significant time being exposed to toxic mold before you ever realize what has happened. In fact, many people may struggle with assorted health issues that seem mysterious or difficult to heal before they realize that mold exposure may be the source of those symptoms and ailments. Because the symptoms include things like runny nose, sneezing, coughing, sore throat, skin rash, headaches, wheezing, eye irritation, and more, they can easily be mistaken for other things like allergies, the common cold, or other things, it can be hard to identify mold as the source. Further complicating things, not everyone that experiences mold exposure will respond the same way which means even people living in the same house with the same level of exposure may have different symptoms or no symptoms at all while others may have severe symptoms including shortness of breath, fever and potentially even more lasting effects like the development of asthma.
How Does Mold Grow in Homes?
People often think that if they keep a clean home, don’t have leaks, and cannot see or smell mold, that they do not have mold, but it can happen to any home when the right circumstances present themselves. The CDC describes just how mold can grow indoors depending on a variety of factors, “Mold is found both indoors and outdoors. Mold can enter your home through open doorways, windows, vents, and heating and air conditioning systems. Mold in the air outside can also attach itself to clothing, shoes, and pets can and be carried indoors. When mold spores drop on places where there is excessive moisture, such as where leakage may have occurred in roofs, pipes, walls, plant pots, or where there has been flooding, they will grow. Many building materials provide suitable nutrients that encourage mold to grow. Wet cellulose materials, including paper and paper products, cardboard, ceiling tiles, wood, and wood products, are particularly conducive for the growth of some molds. Other materials such as dust, paints, wallpaper, insulation materials, drywall, carpet, fabric, and upholstery, commonly support mold growth.”
How Do You Treat and Heal from Mold Exposure?
When you think you or a family member has been exposed to mold, it is important to speak to your physician about tests that can help clarify your exposure and how you can detox your home and body from mold. There is not necessarily a silver bullet for treating and healing mold exposure which is why it is ideal to work with a naturopathic physician that will uniquely tailor your treatment to your specific health, home, and lifestyle.
Until your home can be completely rid of mold, it is important to stay somewhere else so that you do not further exacerbate your mold exposure and symptoms. Further detoxification treatments and methods may be employed including dietary changes that help support your body and are anti-inflammatory. There are also special medications such as antihistamines, corticosteroids, and mycotoxin binders that, when taken, bind to toxins in your body and help eliminate them. In addition to western medicine treatment options, other more natural treatments may be as effective or more effective including activated charcoal, bentonite clay, chlorella, and even utilizing the sauna to help your body detoxify naturally. If you suspect you may have been exposed to mold or are plagued by unexplained symptoms, consult your naturopathic physician to get the testing and treatment you need to heal and feel your best.